Rev. Matthew W. Rueger
Born: 1964, Wisconsin
Education: B.A. in Humanities and Theological Languages from
Concordia Mequon Wisconsin, 1985 (Cum Laude)
M. Div. (Master of Divinity degree) with a focus on
Exegetical Theology from Ft. Wayne Concordia
Theological Seminary, 1990
Ph.D. from the University of Durham in England, 2004
(Thesis: “Individualism in the Christology of Helmut
Thielicke, with special reference to his sermons.”)
Publications: Sexual Morality in a Christless World, 2016
Extracurricular Services: Currently Rev. Rueger serves as the second vice president of the Iowa District East. He is also chairman of the district Board of Directors and a doctrinal reviewer for the LCMS. Over the years Rev. Rueger has served on a number of other district boards and committees.
Personal Interests: Rev. Rueger and his wife Dana have been blessed with 32 years of marriage, seven children, and four grandchildren. When not working in the parish, he enjoys bow hunting in the fall, woodworking, and working on classic cars. He also likes to spend time tending to his small farm outside of Hubbard.
Pastor would like to note has been greatly blessed to serve in Hubbard since 1994. The congregation has been a source of constant joy for him. He is forever thankful to his Lord for having called him to serve in such a warm community of faith.
History of the Church
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church was founded in 1879 when two new Missouri Synod Lutheran pastors came into the state. The first church building was built in 1880 with a modest frame and a budget of $1,000. In 1885, the church officially joined the Iowa District of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. The church building was rebuilt twice (in 1912 and 1958), and the congregation held fast and has continued to grow.